Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Junk Run

I think the title says it all....today's run was junk. I started out my run mid morning and it was just my luck that it happened to be a very warm warm morning. So off I go, doing my warm up for the run (walking for a ways) and as soon as I start to run my body just feels.."off"..not sure exactly what was off, or weird, but it was. My right leg or quad I should say, felt really tense/flexed the whole time I ran. About half way through my run I had to stop and walk for a good minute just trying to breathe and fix my leg somehow ( did various stretches, but nothing seemed helpful). It really didn't help that as I ran (re: crawled/walked/wobbled) I kept thinking about how terrible I was running!

I know...I know. First basic rule of undergoing any task is to have your head on straight, so to speak. Psychology is hugely important to success in any venture, especially when trying something challenging and new. I understand this all very well intellectually, but when it comes down to physically running, being outside, sweating, being sore and depressed?? Things are different. I shouldn't get so down on myself...but I can't help wanting evident results NOW. I want to be a faster, less exhausted runner NOW...not three or four weeks from now. Things don't happen over night, or in a few weeks.

(Mental Face Slap!!! )

In other news - Something that has cheered me up immensely, has been signing up on Runner's World online forums. I now have access to hundreds if not thousands of runners around the world...definitely a bonus. Since none of my friends are experts in fitness/running, I feel somewhat more confident asking questions on this forum, knowing I have a huge pool of runners to sample from!



The agenda for tomorrow is an hour long uphill walk, or failing that walking on the treadmill at a good incline for the same time. I will probably opt for the TM because it is much easier to access than good walking trails in the heart of the city. Along with my alternate activity...I really need to work on eating habits. I don't eat like a pig ( no over eating really, not lots of junk, pop, chips, fatty foods) but I need to learn how to eat in a way that benefits me the most.

A neat fact I learned is that when you finish a run, something great to drink is 1% or 2% chocolate milk! Who doesn't LOVE chocolate milk?! Granted you can't drink a litre or jug, but 250ml or 500ml is a great post-run snack! It has calcium, some sugars, carbs, protein, and tastes so so yummy :)

I have been reading a lot of running articles, forums, blogs, etc. The depressing thing that has most stuck out to me in these various forums has been just how long it truly takes to transform your body and your mind into that of a "runner". Curse you time...and effort...and sweat, blood, tears, blisters, and all the less than fun things associated with getting " in shape " :p



Later my friends...I'm off to bed

No comments:

Post a Comment